Priya's High Protein PB2 Apple Bread
Went apple picking like our four heroines? Here's what you can do with a couple of those apples.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2 medium sized apples cored, peeled and diced into half inch pieces. (Maybe keep a few pieces just sliced to make a cool design on the top like my photo)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup all purpose white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup PB2 powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 cup buttermilk (don’t have it? make your own) or use orange juice to make it non-dairy
1/4 cup oil (your choice of vegetable oil, coconut oil, olive oil, or be old school with melted butter)
Optional: 2 tbsp flaxseed to add some protein, fiber and those all too important omega-3 fatty acids.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl: flour, baking powder, PB2 powder, salt, sugar, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Mix wet ingredients together in another bowl: eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk or oj, and oil. I would suggest whisking the eggs alone first because it’s easier to break the yolks when they are by themselves. Whisk it all together.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. That just means mixing it in slowly instead of dumping it all in all at once. Get the dry ingredients completely wet by mixing the ingredients together.
- Add your apples and/or flaxseed to the mix.
- Pour your mixture into a loaf pan, bundt pan or cake pan. You may have to adjust times depending on your pan.
- If you set some apples slices to the side, gently place a few on top of the poured mixture. Arrange them however you’d like. It’s your bread. Don’t worry, they will stay in place.
- Put that ish in the oven for 45 minutes. Go do a quick craft or check Instagram/ Facebook or fight a troll on Twitter. Just remember to come back in 45 minutes.
- Check if the cake is finished by using a toothpick or butter knife. Poke the middle and see if the utensil comes out clean. If its wet and sticking to the utensil put it back in for 5-10 minutes. Check it again. It’s like a dip stick for bread. Some moisture is okay because we all like moist bread.
- Enjoy your bread. You made it! Yay! Take a pic and share on Instagram with the hashtag: #alysonjonlife.